Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): Online Master's Degree
Master of education in learning, teaching and curriculum with an emphasis in TESOL (M Ed)
This 33-hour online master's degree program is intended for those who are currently teaching or who are interested in teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) in a variety of educational settings. Please note that this option does not confer a license to teach in U.S. public schools. See the Missouri ESOL Certification page for information about that process.
Students may take up to 9 hours as a post-baccalaureate (formerly non-degree) while they are in the process of applying to the degree program.
TESOL Courses (21 semester hours)
- LTC 8645: Second Language Acquisition
- LTC 8648: Linguistics for Educators
- LTC 8647: Language and Culture for Educators
- LTC 8646: Materials for and Assessment of English Language Learners
- LTC 8649: Methods of Teaching English Language Learners
- LTC 8650: English to Speakers of Other Languages Practicum
- LTC 8900: ESOL Curriculum Development*
*LTC 8900 ESOL Curriculum Development pertains only to students admitted as of Summer 2015.
Practicum: All master's students will be required to complete a practicum upon completion of the TESOL focus courses. LTC 8649 Methods of Teaching English Language Learners is a prerequisite and cannot be taken during the same semester as the practicum. If you are currently teaching English language learners, the 16-week practicum can be conducted in your own classroom and will be supervised online by a TESOL instructor.
Core Master's Courses (6 semester hours)
- ESC PS 7115: Human Learning
- LTC 8915: Classroom Research (ESC PS 7115 is a prerequisite)
Electives (6 semester hours) choose two
- LTC 8643: Teaching ESL/EFL to Adult Learners
- LTC 8683: Seminar: Celebrating Reading Through Good Books (K-8)
- LTC 8642: Teaching Writing and Reading in Content Areas
- LTC 8644 Teaching English Grammar and Pronunciation
- LTC 8651 Working with English Language Learners with Special Needs
- LTC 8900 Seminar in Bilingual Education
- ISLT 9467: Technology to Enhance Learning
Other electives may be chosen in consultation with your advisor.
See the How To Apply page for information on admissions.