Autism: Online master’s degree
Master of education in special education with an emphasis in autism (M Ed)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Education | Department of Special Education
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 30
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
- Estimated program cost: $12,225*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
Get the degree you deserve
The online master’s degree in autism from MU helps you increase the knowledge and skills needed to work effectively with children and youth with autism and their families. If you want to advance your career helping students and families obtain the skills they need to better succeed in life, this may be the degree for you.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. Students typically take one or two classes each semester and finish in two years.
Course work covers
- Identifying early characteristics of infants, toddlers and preschoolers with autism
- Identifying individuals with autism who are high-functioning and/or have a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome
- Providing intervention and supports in home, community and classroom settings
- Promoting and enhancing social competence
- Examining curriculum and approaches based on current research
- Addressing problems or challenging behavior using functional assessments and positive behavioral supports
In-state tuition rates
As a distance learner in a University of Missouri graduate program, you qualify for in-state tuition rates, regardless of where you live.
Ask us about this program
This program is administered by the Department of Special Education .