Elementary mathematics specialist: Online graduate certificate
Graduate certificate in elementary mathematics specialist
Delivery of the program is entirely online during the school year, with scheduled synchronous online meetings approximately five times a semester. Summer courses may include meetings on the Columbia campus, with a video conferencing option for students who are unable to attend in person.
Successful completion of the program requires 24 credit hours.
The chart below shows when the courses are traditionally offered. Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
|LTC 8871 Teaching and Learning Number/Operations Advanced||ODD|
|LTC 8881 Internship - Number and Operations in Elementary Schools (1 credit hour)||ODD|
|LTC 8872 Teaching and Learning Rational Number Advanced||EVEN|
|LTC 8882 Internship - Rational Numbers in Elementary Schools (1 credit hour)||EVEN|
|LTC 8876 Teaching Data Analysis and Mathematical Modeling||EVEN|
|LTC 8877 Foundations of Mathematics Leadership in Elem Schools (2 credit hours)||ODD|
|LTC 8874 Teaching and Learning Algebraic Reasoning Advanced||EVEN|
|LTC 8884 Internship - Algebraic Reasoning in Elementary Schools (1 credit hour)||EVEN|
|LTC 8873 Teaching and Learning Geometry and Measurement Advanced||ODD|
|LTC 8883 Internship - Geometry/Measurement in Elementary Schools (1 credit hour)||ODD|
|LTC 8878 Mathematical Leadership for Elementary Schools Advanced||ODD|
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- A minimum of two years teaching experience.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education (if you do not already have a master’s degree).
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Statement of purpose explaining why you wish to pursue a graduate certificate.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
- Two letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of two people, one academic and one professional source, who can attest to your professional competence, academic preparation and potential for graduate work. Graduate Studies will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application
- Degree/Delivery: Graduate Certificate- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Elementary Mathematics Specialist-Distance (Grad Cert)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Learning, Teaching and Curriculum.