Gifted education: Online master’s degree
Master of education in special education with an emphasis in gifted education (M Ed)
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Successful completion of the program requires 15 credit hours of core course work and 15 credit hours of gifted education courses.
The chart below shows when the courses are traditionally offered. We encourage you to begin your course work with one or more of the gifted education courses, which meet Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) requirements for Missouri gifted certification.
Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
Gifted education courses (15 credit hours)
|SPC_ED 8380 Nature and Needs of Gifted and Talented Students||X|
|SPC_ED 8391 Curriculum Methods for Gifted and Talented Students||X||X|
|SPC_ED 8405 Assessment and Evaluation in Gifted Education||X||X|
|SPC_ED 8406 Differentiating Instruction: Reaching Gifted, Typical and Struggling Learners||X||X|
|SPC_ED 8946 Practicum: Gifted Education*||X||X||X|
Core requirements (15 credit hours)
|ESC_PS 7115 Human Learning||X||X||X|
|ESC_PS 7160 Developmental Aspects of Human Learning||X||X||X|
|SPC_ED 8350 Research with Exceptional Children*||X||X|
|ED_LPA 8428 Curriculum Leadership||X|
|SPC_ED 8410 Administration and Supervision of Gifted Programs||X|
* Required for certification.
Note X = full semester, A = 1st half of semester, B = 2nd half of semester
This program culminates with a comprehensive take-home exam, usually in the final semester of the degree program.
Prior to acceptance into the program, you may enroll as a post-baccalaureate (formerly nondegree-seeking) student in up to 12 credit hours. Enrollment does not guarantee acceptance. Learn more about nondegree-seeking university student admissions.
Missouri gifted certification preparation
The 18 hours of gifted education course work above meet Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) requirements for Missouri gifted education certification. An educational research course also is required for Missouri gifted certification.
If you wish only to enroll to complete the course work required for Missouri gifted certification, no formal application is required. See the link above for nondegree-seeking university student admission.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 100 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 7.
- Application to this program does require you to submit GRE scores. If you have not taken the exam in the past five years, now is the time to do so.
Mark your calendar
Send in your application in time.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- GRE scores.
- Two letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of two people who can attest to your professional competence, academic preparation and potential for graduate work. Ideally, one letter should be from a professor who can discuss your academic abilities, the other from an administrator or colleague who can describe your professional experience and potential. Graduate Studies will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
- Personal data sheet.
- Statement of purpose (500 words) summarizing your professional goals, including career objectives, research interests, your motivation for graduate work and anything else you feel is important.
- Letter of intent briefly and clearly stating your interest, if any, in grant funding.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Special Education/ Gifted Education-Distance (M Ed)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Special Education.