Positive Coaching: Online Master's Degree
Master of education in educational, school and counseling psychology with an emphasis in positive coaching (M Ed)
Courses for this program are 100 percent online. Required courses are offered as full semester, 16-week courses, in fall and spring sessions (8-week courses in summer). Most electives are offered as 8-week courses in all semesters, although some are offered as 4-week courses in summer.
Complete all 12 hours (four courses) of required course work plus the 3-hour capstone course. Also complete five elective courses (15 hours) from any of the electives listed.
You do not need to complete all core classes first. Many students choose one core class and an elective.
The chart below shows when the courses are traditionally offered. Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
|Core curriculum (12 credit hours)|
|ESC_PS 7195 Sport and Applied Coaching Psychology||X||X||X|
|ESC_PS 7200 Positive Psychology||X||X||X|
|Begin your sequence with ESC_PS 7195 and/or ESC_PS 7200.|
|ESC_PS 8195 Applied Positive Coaching Prerequisite: ESC_PS 7195||X||X||X|
|ESC_PS 8200 Applied Positive Psychology Prerequisite: ESC_PS 7200||X||X||X|
|Electives (15 credit hours)|
|ESC_PS 7185 Health Behaviors: Drug and Sexuality Education||B||B|
|ESC_PS 8232 Foundations of Sport Performance||A||B||A|
|ESC_PS 8255 Legal Aspects of Sport and Coaching||B||A|
|ESC_PS 8265 Administration of Athletics Programs||A||A||A|
|ESC_PS 8270 Student-Athlete Well-being (formerly Coaching & Coordinated School Health)||X||X||X|
|ESC_PS 8280 Gender Issues in Sport||B||B||X|
|ESC_PS 8290 Multicultural Issues in Sport||X||B||X|
|ESC_PS 8087 Seminar: Character and Ethics in Sport||A||A|
|ESC_PS 8087 Seminar: Resiliency, Grit and Mental Toughness||B||B||X|
|ESC_PS 8087 Seminar: Psychology of the Injured Athlete||A||A||X|
|Additional elective options available with adviser approval.|
|The following courses require ESC_PS 7200 Positive Psychology as a prerequisite.|
|ESC_PS 8700 Life/Career Coaching and Development||X|
|ESC_PS 8710 Meaning in Work||X|
|ESC_PS 8720 Community and Stewardship||X||X|
|ESC_PS 8730 Positive Organizational Psychology||X|
|Capstone (required in last semester before graduation)|
|ESC_PS 8300 Positive Leadership in Sport
(Prerequisites: ESC_PS 7195, ESC_PS 8195, ESC_PS 7200, ESC_PS 8200)
Note X = full semester, A = 1st half of semester, B = 2nd half
Prior to acceptance into the program, you may enroll as a post-baccalaureate (formerly nondegree-seeking) student in up to 9 credit hours. Enrollment does not guarantee acceptance. Learn more about nondegree-seeking university student admissions.
This program does not provide teacher certification nor any professional licensure. If you are seeking Missouri initial certification, please contact the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Other states: Please contact the certification agency for the state in which you are seeking initial teacher certification.
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. The College of Education is a member of the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed baccalaureate or advanced degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education. See notes under Step 3 below.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
This program accepts rolling admissions, so you can apply at any time. We recommend you submit your application at least six weeks before the beginning of the term in which you wish to start your course work.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- If your GPA is below 3.0, please also submit your résumé and a personal statement.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
- Letter of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply the name and contact details of a principal, athletic director or other credible reference (e.g. employer, community leader) who can attest to your professional competence, academic preparation and potential for graduate work.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application.
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Ed, School & Counseling Psychology/ Positive Coaching-Distance (MEd)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Educational, School and Counseling Psychology