Early Childhood Education: Online Bachelor's Degree Completion
Bachelor of science in human environmental sciences with an emphasis in human development and family studies and a focus in early childhood education in a mobile society (BS HES)
Note The early childhood education focus area will not appear on your diploma or your official MU transcript for the BS HES.
Today, many students seeking higher education are considered to be mobile learners — whether because of active military duty, immigration status, or simply because home location, work and travel keep them on the go and unable to attend traditional classes. Also, students with young children often require flexible access to classroom resources and support services that are available online, anytime of day. If you are a mobile learner, you will find what you need at Mizzou.
The early childhood education online bachelor's completion program is designed specifically to meet the needs of students who are balancing school with a mobile lifestyle or living far from a college campus, but who wish to earn a degree in the field of early childhood education. This program will prepare you to work in educational settings with young children. Upon graduation, you will be ready to work in a variety of programs that offer early childhood care and education in civilian communities and on military installations, including:
- Infant/toddler and preschool centers and homes
- Head Start programs
- Before- and after-school programs for children up to age 8.
Upon successfully finishing the BS HES program, you will be able to:
- Understand young children's characteristics and needs, as well as the dynamics that influence their development and learning;
- Create environments that are healthful, respectful, supportive and intellectually challenging for each child;
- Understand how to create partnerships with children's families and other professionals in the community so as to nurture young children in developmentally appropriate ways;
- Apply child observation, documentation, and other forms of assessment to positively influence the development of each child;
- Design, implement and evaluate educational settings that promote positive development and learning for young children across all of early childhood.
Note: This program does not provide basic teaching certification.
*The Great Plains IDEA is a consortium of seven universities offering fully online undergraduate - and graduate-level courses and degree program options in human sciences. Each university brings a unique strength to these multi-institution academic programs. Students apply to and are admitted by one university, enroll in all of their courses from that university, and graduate from that university. However, the online courses are taught by faculty from several universities. All students pay one common price no matter where each of the classes is based.