Family and community services: Online master’s degree
Master of arts in human development and family studies with an emphasis in family and community services (MA)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Human Environmental Sciences | Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 36
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission
- Estimated program cost: $19,620*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
Get the degree you deserve
An online master’s degree in family and community service from MU can help you manage and evaluate programs, deliver programs for children and families, and provide leadership in social service agencies. If you want to work with children, youth, adults and families in community agency settings, this may be the degree for you.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based and offered by multiple universities taking part in the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance. Depending on which university is teaching your course that semester, your courses may have different start and finish dates.
Students typically take one or two classes each semester and finish in two to three years.
- Understand individual, family, interpersonal and community dynamics across the life span.
- Develop knowledge and skills related to the design, implementation and sustainability of family and community programming.
- Develop essential knowledge and skills for leadership and management of family and community programs.
Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (IDEA)
Great Plains IDEA is a partnership of multiple public universities offering fully online degree programs. Students apply to and are admitted by one university, enroll in all of their courses through that university and graduate from that university. However, the online courses are taught by faculty in the discipline from several universities. All students pay one common price no matter where each of the classes is based. Learn more
Ask us about this program
This program is administered by the Department of Human Development and Family Science.