Youth development: Online master’s degree
Master of arts in human development and family science with an emphasis in youth development (MA)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Human Environmental Sciences | Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 36
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission
- Estimated program cost: $19,620*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
Get the degree you deserve
An online master’s degree in youth development from MU can help you provide youth with positive opportunities to learn and grow. If you want to gain the knowledge and skills to create, facilitate, and evaluate programs promoting healthy youth development, this may be the degree for you.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based and offered by multiple universities taking part in the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance. Depending on which university is teaching your course that semester, your courses may have different start and finish dates.
Students typically take two classes each semester and finish in two to three years.
Course work covers
- Agency budgeting, fund raising, grant writing and processing
- Conceptual approaches to youth development
- Normative pathways to development
- Policy development for optimal youth outcomes
- Problem-solving with funding sources, boards, agencies, families and other stakeholders
- Youth and family cultural issues
Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (IDEA)
Great Plains IDEA is a partnership of multiple public universities offering fully online degree programs. Students apply to and are admitted by one university, enroll in all of their courses through that university and graduate from that university. However, the online courses are taught by faculty in the discipline from several universities. All students pay one common price no matter where each of the classes is based. Learn more
Ask us about this program
This program is administered by the Department of Human Development and Family Science.