Social studies education: Online master’s degree
Master of education in learning, teaching and curriculum with an emphasis in social studies education (M Ed)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Education | Department of Learning, Teaching and Curriculum
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 30
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
- Estimated program cost: $13,001.10*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress.See more about tuition and financial aid.
Get the degree you deserve
The online master’s degree in social studies education from MU can help you advance your knowledge and practice of teaching social studies while obtaining an advanced degree. If you want to engage in meaningful discussion about the role of social studies and how research and theory can inform classroom practice, this may be the degree for you.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. Students typically take one or two classes each semester and finish in two years.
Course work covers
- Curriculum and issues in social studies education
- Research in social studies
- Civic education
- Social studies and technology
- Social studies and literacy
Note This program does not provide social studies certification, nor does it provide the initial certification required to become a teacher.
In-state tuition rates
As a distance learner in a University of Missouri graduate program, you qualify for in-state tuition rates, regardless of where you live.
Ask us about this program
This program is administered by the Department of Learning, Teaching and Curriculum.