Family psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioner: Online doctorate
Doctor of nursing practice with an emphasis in family psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioner (DNP)
- Program type: Doctorate
- Academic home: Sinclair School of Nursing
- Delivery mode: Blended, some campus visits required
- Credit hours: Approximately 72
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Estimated program cost: $36,866.96*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
Get the degree you deserve
A doctorate in nursing practice from MU can help you advance your career in family psychiatry and mental health. If you want to deliver advanced primary mental health care to children, adolescents and their families, this program could be for you.
Graduates will be eligible for advanced practice nurse certification as a Family Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (FMHNP) by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is blended: You will complete most course work online, but an on-campus visit is required for five days during the summer before course work begins for orientation to the DNP program. Additional campus visits will be required throughout the program.
Courses are semester-based. How long it takes to complete the program depends on your academic progress so far. If you already have a master’s degree, you can study part time and complete the program in three years. If you have a bachelor’s degree and want to study part time, the program is more likely to take you five or six years.
Course work covers, among others
- Diagnostics and psychopharmacology
- Pediatric mental health assessment and management
- Brief individual psychotherapy, group therapy and social skills training
- Mental health intervention for families
- Ethics and sociocultural issues
- Physical assessment and diagnostic reasoning
Live webinar: Nov. 13! Register today.
Learn more about the DNP during a live online presentation by Miriam Butler from MU's Sinclair School of Nursing. Get answers to your career questions.
This program is administered by the Sinclair School of Nursing.