When it is time to take an exam for your course, you will need to arrange for test proctoring, which means that your test will be supervised via a remote proctoring system. You also may be able to discuss an alternative assessment for your exam. Either way, our instructors will work with you to find the best solution.
SmarterProctoring is an advanced solution for online test security, remote, automated & live test proctoring, and for scheduling face-to-face proctoring. Depending on the options your instructor chooses, you may be able to take a test using automated proctoring (at no fee), schedule a face-to-face proctoring session with your instructor or TAs (at no fee), schedule a live, online proctoring session (for a fee), or with a campus testing center or other authorized proctors (usually for a fee).
Some assessments in your online course might require the use of the SmarterProctoring Platform. SmarterProctoring is a remote proctoring system that uses advanced machine learning and facial detection technology to ensure test integrity.
The program is optimized to protect your security and privacy while providing a proctored environment to replace classroom testing.
Instructors and students access Examity through their Canvas site. Students pay an exam fee when scheduling their exam. The fee is based on the length of the exam and how far in advance the exam time is scheduled.
Note: Examity is not available for UMSL students.
- Browser: Google Chrome. Please disable your pop-up blocker.
- Desktop, Chromebook or a laptop computer (tablets and mobile devices are not supported)
- Built-in or external webcam
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers
- Internet connection: An upload and download speed of at least 2Mbps.
If your instructor has chosen to administer a proctored exam using SmarterProctoring, Examity or ProctorU, and you lack a stable and strong internet connection, a webcam and microphone, you need to contact your instructor about an alternative assessment. The alternative assessment format will be up to your instructor, who will provide you with a take-home exam, a paper or another assignment.
Self-paced exams (Mizzou students only)
How to request proctoring or an alternative assessment
- Select the "Request an Exam" option listed in your course home page.
- In the exam information section, click “Request This Exam” on the exam you are eligible to take. If ineligible, you will receive an error message listing the reasons you are unable to test.
- Select either SmarterProctoring or Alternative Assessment.
- If you are using SmarterProctoring, you may take your exam at your earliest convenience.
- If you are using an alternative assessment, your course instructor will contact you with further details.
Accommodations for self-paced exams
If disability-related accommodations are necessary (for example, a note taker, extended time on exams, captioning), please register with the Mizzou Disability Center and send a copy of your Memo of Accommodation to your instructor and MissouriOnline@umsystem.edu. We must have your Memo a minimum of two weeks in advance of the FIRST test date to ensure the instructor has time to adapt the exam.