What is Proctorio?
Some assessments in your online course might require the use of the Proctorio Learning Integrity Platform. Proctorio is a remote proctoring system that uses advanced machine learning and facial detection technology to ensure test integrity.
The program is optimized to protect your security and privacy while providing a proctored environment to replace classroom testing.
What are the requirements for Proctorio?
- You must use Google Chrome on a laptop or desktop computer when taking any tests with Proctorio. Download Google Chrome here if you do not already have it installed.
- You must install the Proctorio Extension from the Google Chrome web store before you take your first test:
- Open Chrome.
- Go to the Proctorio Extension page in the Chrome Web Store.
- Click the Add to Chrome button, then Add Extension.
- Wait for it to download and for a confirmation message that it has been installed.
- You will also need a microphone, webcam, and a stable internet connection.
- You must allow pop-ups and redirects in Google Chrome.
- On a PC follow these steps:
- Go to Settings (the 3 dots in the upper right corner)
- Click Privacy and security
- Click Site Settings
- Click Pop-ups and redirects
- Set to Allowed.
- For a Mac:
- Click the Chrome menu in the menu bar
- Choose Preferences
- Select Privacy and Security
- Click on Site Settings
- Choose Pop-ups and Redirects
- Set to Allowed
- On a PC follow these steps:
Note You cannot use a smartphone or a tablet to take tests with Proctorio.
Overview: Taking a test with Proctorio
Prepare your workspace and materials
- You will need to be alone, in a quiet place where you can work uninterrupted. Proctorio’s algorithms will flag excessive noise, conversation and the presence of others on camera as potential cheating.
- To allow the camera to monitor your face, please take the exam in a well-lit space.
- A strong internet connection is advisable. Avoid free wifi in public places for this reason. Likewise, you might want to ask roommates or family not to stream video or play games online while you are taking your test.
- Make sure your laptop is plugged in.
- Please start your exam session with a fresh Google Chrome browser — clear cache and refresh browser.
- Have all study materials put away. No books, notes, or other materials should be on your work surface.
- You are required to show your photo ID to the camera at the beginning of the test, so have it handy.
- Because of the use of the camera, you should be appropriately dressed.
- You will be required to show a panorama of your room, including your desktop. If you have a desktop computer with a built-in camera (such as an iMac), you can use a mirror to show your entire space.
Install Proctorio Chrome Extension
If you have not already done so, you will be prompted to install the Proctorio Chrome Extension from the Google Chrome web store.
- In Canvas, navigate to the quiz or test and click the Begin the Quiz button. You should see a Before you Begin message. Please be sure to read this. It will tell you which restrictions and requirements your instructor has enabled in Proctorio, as well as what information will be collected during the exam.
- At the bottom of the Begin the Quiz page there may be a red Warning box with items that need to be done, such as closing other windows. You may do this one-item-at-a-time or you may click a link to take care of a given problem all at once. There may be some hardware issues that require you to take action, such as disconnecting additional monitors.
- Once any issues are fixed, you can click the Start exam pre-checks button.
- The pre-checks may take a moment or two. You may be instructed to allow access to your camera and microphone and share the screen. If there are problems, Proctorio should automatically open a chat with their support. You can also start one by clicking on the Proctorio Extension icon in Chrome.
- Once the pre-check is finished, follow the instructions that appear on the screen, then click Next.
- Click Begin camera test. If it fails, try moving closer or farther from the screen or change lighting.
- Follow Proctorio prompts to use your webcam to scan your room, including your desktop.
- Read the Exam Agreement and click I accept, begin exam now.
- If you have problems during the exam, you can click on the Proctorio Chrome Extension icon in your browser to access step-by-step guides or start a Live Chat session with the Proctorio support team
- If you are unable to complete the test for any reason, please email your instructor immediately.
- When starting a test with Proctorio, you will be given the option to Enable high visibility mode near the bottom of the Before You Begin screen. There is also a link to Learn more about Proctorio’s approach to Accessibility, which provides information on screen readers, on high visibility mode, and a link to open a support ticket.
- Students who rely on keyboard navigation should contact their professor and their campus disability services for alternative means of completing the test. Some screenreaders do not work with some settings in Proctorio.
If disability-related accommodations are necessary (for example, a note taker, extended time on exams, captioning), please register with the MU Disability Center and send a copy of your Memo of Accommodation to both your instructor and Mizzou Online. Mizzou Online must have your Memo a minimum of two weeks in advance of the FIRST test date to ensure the instructor has time to adapt the exam.