Music education: Online master’s degree
Master of music with an emphasis in music education (MM)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Arts and Science | School of Music
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, National Association of Schools of Music
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 32
- Estimated program cost: $14,513.60*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
How an online music education master’s degree can help you
This program is designed for general music, choral or instrumental music educators with any level of experience that are looking for professional development and career advancement. Further your practice and your career, while exploring the latest methods of research and pedagogy with leading faculty. Develop your knowledge and skill in ways that empower you to inspire your students.
Program structure and topics
The online master of music with an emphasis in music education is 100 percent online: no campus visits required. Students with full-time jobs typically take one or two classes each semester, including summers, and finish the program in about three years.
Course work covers
- Music education (15 credits)
- Teaching practicums (4 credits)
- Music theory and history (9 credits)
- Research-to-practice capstone (4 credits)
Meet our faculty
Brandon A. Boyd, PhD
Assistant Professor, Choral Music Education/Choral Conducting
Wendy L. Sims, PhD
Curators’ Distinguished Teaching Professor & Director of Music Education
Brian A. Silvey, PhD
Associate Professor of Music, Director of Bands
This program is administered by the School of Music .