Hospitality management: Online bachelor’s degree
Bachelor of science in hospitality management (BS)
Courses for this program are 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Your degree requires 120 credit hours, which may include transfer credits from other regionally accredited institutions.
The courses you take will include:
- MU general education requirements;
- 15 credit hours of core business principles;
- 22 credit hours of core hospitality management courses;
- 30 credit hours in your chosen specialty area (conference and events management, food and beverage management, lodging management or sport venue management);
- 14 credit hours in unrestricted electives.
The number of credits you need to take will depend on the type of previous credit earned and the institutions' accreditation and transfer equivalencies. The admissions office will determine your transfer credit once they receive your official transcripts and application. Visit the University of Missouri Course Equivalency site to determine credit equivalencies from courses taken at other Missouri institutions.
See a sample hospitality management BS “Semester Plan” of study. Personal degree plans will be developed with your academic adviser.
The chart below shows when core courses are traditionally offered. Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless otherwise noted. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
Core courses (22 credit hours)
|HSP_MGMT 1100 Introduction to Hospitality Management|
|HSP_MGMT 2100 Hospitality Law|
|HSP_MGMT 2190 Seminar in Professional Development |
1 credit hour
|HSP_MGMT 3100 Service Management|
|HSP_MGMT 4100 Hospitality Human Resources Management|
|HSP_MGMT 4110 Hospitality Sales and Marketing|
|HSP_MGMT 4180 Strategic Management in the Hospitality Industry|
|HSP_MGMT 4993 Internship in Hospitality Management|
Specialty area courses (30 credit hour)
This represents a sample of available courses.
|HSP_MGMT 4280 Special Events Management|
|HSP_MGMT 4380 Managing Food Service Businesses|
|HSP_MGMT 4480 Advance Lodging Management|
|HSP_MGMT 4580 Sports Venue and Facility Management|
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
How to apply
If you have less than 24 hours of applicable college-level course work, you may apply to the online bachelor of hospitality management program as a freshman. If you have 24 or more credit hours of applicable college-level course work, you may apply as a transfer student.
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- For freshmen:
- Earned the minimum test score on the ACT or SAT.
- Completed 17 specific high school courses with good grades.
- For a list of test scores and high school courses, review the Freshman Admission Requirements.
- For transfer students:
- Completed at least 24 credit hours of applicable college course work, including the equivalent of MATH 1100 or ENGLSH 1000 with a grade of C- or better.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in your college course work.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 79 (internet-based test), an IELTS score of at least 6.5, a Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 59 or a Cambridge C1 Advanced score of at least 195.
- Slightly different requirements apply if you transfer from within the UM System or already have an associate of arts degree from a regionally accredited Missouri community college. Please see the full list of requirements at the link under Step 4 below.
Mark your calendar
Submit your application in time.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
In the online application, you will need to supply:
- Your name and contact information
- Citizenship, residency and visa information (if applicable)
- Names and locations of previous college or high school and dates you attended
If you are applying as a transfer student, you also will need to contact all your previous colleges or universities to request they send your official transcripts to
- Office of Admissions
- University of Missouri
- 230 Jesse Hall
- Columbia, MO 65211
Complete the online application
You can check admission requirements, transfer equivalencies and financial aid opportunities within the application.
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources.