Literacy education: Online master’s degree
Master of education in learning, teaching and curriculum with an emphasis in literacy education (M Ed)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Education | Department of Learning, Teaching & Curriculum
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 30
- Estimated program cost: $13,001.10*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
Get the degree you deserve
A master’s degree in literacy education from MU can help you advance your career in reading instruction. If you want to better serve students in overcoming their challenges in reading and writing, this may be the program for you.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. Take the courses when you choose, as suits your busy schedule.
Most students study part time, taking two classes per semester, and earn their master’s degrees in just two years.
Course work covers
- Foundational aspects of literacy
- Fundamentals of language development from birth to adolescence
- Language, Culture and Leadership
- Literacy Pedagogy and Assessment
- Techniques and strategies for teaching reading K–12
- Understanding and conducting research in reading
In-state tuition rates
As a distance learner in a University of Missouri graduate program, you qualify for in-state tuition rates, regardless of where you live.
This program is administered by the Department of Learning, Teaching and Curriculum.