Special education: Online master’s degree
Master of arts in special education with an emphasis in special education, general (MA)
- Program type: Master’s degree
- Academic home: College of Education | Department of Special Education
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 33
- Estimated program cost: $14,949.99*
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
Manage intervention and problem-solving teams
MU’s online master’s degree in special education, the first such program in the state of Missouri, is research intensive. If you want to become a teacher-leader in working with individuals with disabilities and special needs, this may be the degree for you.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. Students typically take one or two classes each semester and finish in two to three years.
Course work covers
- Assessment and evaluation
- Behavior management
- Cross-categorical disabilities
- Language development and literacy for exceptional students
- Math, science and social studies for students who are struggling
- Strategies for students with disabilities and at-risk learners
MPER Early Career Scholars Program
MPER Early Career
If you are a first-, second- or third-year teacher, and teach in an MPER partner school district, you might qualify for a 50 percent tuition sponsorship from the College of Education.
This program is administered by the Department of Special Education.