Health science: Online bachelor’s degree
Bachelor of health science in health science (BHS)
Courses for this program are 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Your degree requires 120 credit hours, which may include transfer credits from other regionally accredited institutions.
Important If you want to pursue a clinical graduate or professional program, this degree may still be a good fit, but you should be aware that prerequisite science courses are not currently available 100 percent online at MU. An academic adviser can help you determine how best to complete science prerequisites and fit them into your academic plan as needed.
The courses you take will include:
- MU general education requirements;
- Program requirements;
- Health science core course work, including an internship;
- Health science-approved electives;
- General electives, as needed.
The number of credits you need to take will depend on the type of previous credit earned and the institutions' accreditation and transfer equivalencies. The admissions office will determine your transfer credit once they receive your official transcripts and application. Visit the University of Missouri Course Equivalency site to determine credit equivalencies from courses taken at other Missouri institutions.
See a sample health science BHS “Semester Plan” of study. Personal degree plans will be developed with your academic adviser.
The chart below shows when core courses are traditionally offered. Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless otherwise noted. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
|MATH 1100 College Algebra||X||X||X|
|ENGLSH 1000 Exposition and Argumentation||X||X||X|
|Biological Science Course |
|Physical Science Course||X||X||X|
|Behavioral Science Course||X||X||X|
|Statistics Course |
STAT 1200, 1300 or ESC_PS 4170
|HLTH_SCI 1000 Introduction to the Health Professions||X||X||X|
|HLTH_SCI 2100 Health Sciences Seminar |
1 credit hour
|HLTH_SCI 3300 Public Health Principles, Practice, and Education||X||X||X|
|HLTH_SCI 3900W Introduction to The Research Process and Evidence Base|
|HLTH_SCI 4300 Health Care in the United States||X||X||X|
|HLTH_SCI 4480 Clinical Ethics||X||X|
|HLTH_SCI 4975 Internship in Health Sciences |
|HLTH_SCI 4985 Healthcare Organization and Leadership||X||X||X|
Health Science Electives
Students complete at least 18 credit hours; 9 credit hours must be 3000- level or higher.
|Students must complete coursework in at least two out of the following three thematic areas: Social/Behavioral; Medical/Biological; Administrative/Leadership. Transfer courses taken at freshman or sophomore level and accepted as equivalent to 3000/4000 level course at MU may not count as upper level Health Science Electives.|
|Elective credit hours to complete 120 total credit hours or residency requirement.|
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
How to apply
If you have less than 24 hours of applicable college-level course work, you may apply to the online bachelor of health science in health science program as a freshman. If you have 24 or more credit hours of applicable college-level course work, you may apply as a transfer student.
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- For freshmen:
- Earned the minimum test score on the ACT or SAT.
- Completed 17 specific high school courses with good grades.
- For a list of test scores and high school courses, review the Freshman Admission Requirements.
- For transfer students:
- Completed at least 24 credit hours of applicable college course work, including the equivalent of MATH 1100 or ENGLSH 1000 with a grade of C- or better.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in your college course work.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 79 (internet-based test), an IELTS score of at least 6.5, a Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 59 or a Cambridge C1 Advanced score of at least 195.
- Slightly different requirements apply if you transfer from within the UM System or already have an associate of arts degree from a regionally accredited Missouri community college. Please see the full list of requirements at the link under Step 3 below.
Gather your papers
In the online application, you will need to supply:
- Your name and contact information
- Citizenship, residency and visa information (if applicable)
- Names and locations of previous college or high school and dates you attended
If you are applying as a transfer student, you also will need to contact all your previous colleges or universities to request they send your official transcripts to
- Office of Admissions
- University of Missouri
- 230 Jesse Hall
- Columbia, MO 65211
Complete the online application
You can check admission requirements, transfer equivalencies and financial aid opportunities within the application.
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the MU Department of Health Sciences.