Architectural studies: Online doctorate
Doctor of philosophy in human environmental sciences with an emphasis in architectural studies (PhD)
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required. However, we strongly encourage you to attend at least three optional summer workshops on campus (last week of June, Sunday through Friday), where you may present your research line of inquiry and obtain feedback.
Successful completion requires a minimum of 72 credit hours beyond the baccalaureate degree, 15 of which must be at the 8000 to 9000 level. You may apply no more than 30 credit hours from the master’s level toward your PhD.
You also may add a concentration in design research to your course work if you require applied research skills to produce evidence-based design decisions or want to utilize design thinking for creative problem-solving. The design research concentration will not appear on your transcript or diploma, however.
The chart below shows when the courses are traditionally offered. Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
|ARCHST 7320 Materials, Methods and Products||X|
|ARCHST 7323 Sustainable Technologies and Systems||X|
|ARCHST 7325 Energy-Efficient Building Design||X|
|ARCHST 7430 Guiding Design with Historic Preservation||X|
|ARCHST 7960 Readings in Environmental Design|
|ARCHST 7961 Design Research and Service Design1|
|ARCHST 7962 Information Visualization and Visual Analytics1|
|ARCHST 7964 Design Thinking and Creative Process1|
|ARCHST 8050 Research Methods in Environmental Design |
|ARCHST 8085 Problems in Environmental Design||X||X||X|
|ARCHST 8630 Philosophy of Environmental Design Research1||X|
|ARCHST 8850 Seminar in Environmental Design |
1 credit hour1
|ARCHST 8887 Environment and Behavior II1|
|ARCHST 9090 Doctoral Research in Environmental Design||X||X||X|
|ARCHST 9995 Pilot Project for Dissertation |
On-Campus Class, 1–5 credit hours2
|ARCHST 9995 Pilot Project for Dissertation |
1-4 credit hours
|ARCHST 9990 Dissertation Proposal |
1 credit hour
You may choose other courses under the direction of your adviser.
1 Courses count toward the design research concentration.
2 We strongly encourage you to attend at least three summer workshops, held the last week of June on campus.
Note For courses that require a course consent request form, please visit https://online-consent.missouri.edu/search/ for permission.
Prior to acceptance into the program, you may enroll as a post-baccalaureate (formerly nondegree-seeking) student in up to 12 credit hours. Enrollment does not guarantee acceptance. Learn more about nondegree-seeking university student admissions.
This program culminates in a comprehensive examination and a written dissertation embodying the results of your original and significant investigation. You must complete the comprehensive at least seven months before your final defense of your dissertation.
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test), an IELTS score of at least 6.5, a Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 59 or a Cambridge C1 Advanced score of at least 180.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
Apply by Jan. 15 for enrollment in the following fall semester
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of three people (excluding MU Architectural Studies faculty) who can attest to your professional competence, academic preparation and potential for graduate work. The Graduate School will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
- Statement of purpose.
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or C1 Advanced score reports for applicants whose native language is not English. For information on sending test scores, visit the Grad School website.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application
- Application type: Doctoral Program
- Degree/Delivery: Doctorate- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Architectural Studies/Human Environmental Sciences-Distance (PhD)
This program is administered by the Department of Architectural Studies .