Health administration: Online master’s degree
Master of health administration (MHA)
Delivery of this program is blended; four weekend campus visits are required in both the spring and fall semesters.
Successful completion of the program requires 42 credit hours; 36 credit hours of core course work and 6 credit hours of an individual research project.
You also must meet foundation prerequisites in statistical analysis, microeconomics, managerial finance and accounting. You may complete this course work online or on campus through MU or other institutions. Admitted students may take free online modules in accounting, managerial finance and microeconomic offered by the department.
You will proceed through the course work in tandem with your cohort, beginning in January and taking courses in the order outlined below.
Each course is 3 credit hours, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
Year 1, spring
|HMI 7410 Introduction to the US Health Care System||X|
|HMI 7430 Introduction to Health Informatics||X|
|HMI 8460 Administration of Health Care Organizations||X|
Year 1, summer
|HMI 8450 Methods of Health Services Research||X|
Year 1, fall
|HMI 8524 Health Economics||X|
|HMI 8461 Managing Human Resources in Health Care Organizations||X|
|HMI 8573 Decision Making for Health Care Organizations||X|
Year 2, spring
|HMI 8544 Managerial Epidemiology (Population Health Management)||X|
|HMI 8470 Strategic Planning and Marketing for Health Care Organizations||X|
|HMI 8472 Financial Management for Health Care Organizations||X|
Year 2, summer
|HMI 8451 Individual Executive Management Studies||X||X||X|
Year 2, fall
|HMI 8571 Decision Support in Health Care Systems||X|
|HMI 8574 Health Care Law||X|
|HMI 8575 Health Policy and Politics||X|
In your final semester, you must pass an oral examination that enables the faculty to evaluate your competency in health administration. You also will present your independent research project.
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. The MU MHA program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a regionally accredited institution.
- At least three years of technical, clinical or administrative experience in health care or the health sciences.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 100 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 7.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
This program has rolling admission and accepts students to matriculate in the spring term only. We recommend you submit your application by Dec. 1.
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Résumé or CV.
- Personal essay that outlines your professional plans and career objectives; explains how you became interested in health administration and how your prior training and experience would help your career; includes specific issues and challenges in health care that you consider challenging and why; and indicates that you are applying to the distance education (executive) format.
- Three letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of three professional colleagues who can attest to your intellectual, experiential and interpersonal abilities. Graduate Studies will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
- Statement of support from your employer; not required if you are self-employed or a principal in your organization.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
- In addition, the admissions committee will interview you. If you are unable to travel to the Columbia, Missouri campus for the interview, alternate arrangements can be made.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents to the online application
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Health Administration-Distance (MHA)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Health Management and Informatics.