Economics: Online master’s degree
Master of arts in economics (MA)
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Successful completion of the program requires 30 credit hours: six required courses and four electives.
Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
|Required courses (15 credit hours)|
|ECON 7370 Quantitative Economics OR|
ECON 8370 Mathematics for Economics
|ECON 7371 Introductory Econometrics|
|ECON 8413 Research Workshop|
|ECON 8451 Microeconomic Theory|
|ECON 8453 Macroeconomic Theory|
Electives (15 credit hours; choose five)
|ECON 7326 Economics of International Trade|
|ECON 7329 The Banking System and the Money Market|
|ECON 7340 Introduction to Game Theory|
|ECON 7351 Intermediate Microeconomics|
|ECON 7353 Intermediate Macroeconomics|
|ECONOM 8085 Problems in Economics|
|PUB_AF 8510 Public Budgeting and Taxation|
|STAT 7510 Applied Statistical Models I|
|Other 7000|8000|9000 level courses |
With Permission of Program Director
Prior to acceptance into the program, you may enroll as a post-baccalaureate (formerly nondegree-seeking) student in up to 12 credit hours. Enrollment does not guarantee acceptance. Learn more about nondegree-seeking university student admissions.
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test), an IELTS score of at least 6.5, a Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 59 or a Cambridge C1 Advanced score of at least 180.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
We recommend you submit your application by the dates below.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of two professionals who can attest to your critical thinking, analytical and writing skills, demonstrating your potential as a graduate student and professional. Your references will be contacted with instructions regarding the letters.
- Résumé or CV.
- Personal statement outlining how a master’s degree in economics will help you achieve your career goals.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
- GRE scores are not required.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Economics- Distance (MA)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Economics.