Positive psychology: Online graduate certificate
Graduate certificate in positive psychology
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Successful completion of the program requires 3 credit hours of required courses and 12 credit hours of electives.
Note You must begin your course work with ESC_PS 7200; you may not take it concurrently with any of the electives.
The chart below shows when the courses are traditionally offered. Click on the red boxes to learn more about a course.
Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
Core course (3 credit hours)
|ESC_PS 7200 Positive Psychology||X||B||X|
Electives (12 credit hours)
|ESC_PS 7087 Seminar: Creativity and Innovation: Scientific Foundations and Everyday Applications||X|
|ESC_PS 7087 Seminar: Motivation and Positive Psychology||B||X|
|ESC_PS 8200 Applied Positive Psychology||X||X|
|ESC_PS 8700 Life/Career Coaching and Development||X|
|ESC_PS 8710 Meaning In Work||X|
|ESC_PS 8720 Community and Stewardship||X|
|ESC_PS 8730 Positive Organizational Psychology||X|
Note This graduate certificate does not provide counselor certification.
Submit a graduate certificate plan of study to the Graduate School at least one term before you graduate.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
This program accepts rolling admissions, so you can apply at any time. We recommend you submit your application six weeks before the beginning of the term in which you wish to start your course work.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Résumé or CV.
- Statement of purpose (500 words) describing how this program will benefit your career aspirations and help you act upon your personal beliefs, goals and philosophy.
- Two letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of university faculty members, employment-related professionals, etc. who can attest to your intellectual, experiential and interpersonal abilities. The Graduate School will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application
- Degree/Delivery: Graduate Certificate- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Positive Psychology-Distance (Grad Cert)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Educational, School, and Counseling Psychology.