Psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner: Online graduate certificate
Graduate certificate in psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner
- Program type: Graduate certificate
- Academic home: Sinclair School of Nursing
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Delivery mode: 100 percent online
- Credit hours: 18.5
- Estimated program cost: $10,823.58*
*This price is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, course choices at Mizzou and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
How a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner graduate certificate can help you
A graduate certificate in psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner from MU can help you expand your practice or specialize in psychiatry and mental health. Continue working as you gain the knowledge and skills you need to advance. Learn from experienced, practicing faculty who are renowned researchers and belong to a network of nurses across the nation.
Students who pursue the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner graduate certificate will:
- Fill the immense need for psychiatric providers in the U.S. and beyond;
- Learn to provide mental health care across the lifespan — for adults, children, adolescents and their families;
- Be eligible for advanced practice nurse certification as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Program structure and topics
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. How long it takes to complete the program depends on your academic progress so far. If you want to study part time, the program will most likely take you two years to complete.
Meet our faculty
Nancy Birtley, DNP, APRN, PMHCNS-BC, PMHNP-BC
Assistant Teaching Professor
Nancy has been a psychiatric nurse since 1987. She has extensive experience in various roles, such as staff RN, nurse manager, psychiatric liaison nurse, nurse educator and advanced practice nurse. Nancy holds certification as both a Psychiatric Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist and Nurse Practitioner and is owner of a private practice providing psychiatric consultations in long term care facilities.
This program is administered by the Sinclair School of Nursing.