Get started with MUApply here
The online master’s degree in autism from MU helps you increase the knowledge and skills needed to work effectively with children and youth with autism and their families. If you want to advance your career helping students and families obtain the skills they need to better succeed in life, this may be the degree for you.
Official nameMaster of education in special education with an emphasis in autism
Program typeMaster's degree
Academic homeCollege of Education & Human Development | Department of Special Education
Delivery mode100% online
AccreditationHigher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, your course choices and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
This degree has potential benefits for
- Career or technical education teachers
- Instructional coordinators
- Occupational therapists
- Recreational therapists
- School counselors
- Special education teachers
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. Students typically take one or two classes each semester and finish in two years.
Course work includes
- Characteristics of children with autism, including those who are high function
- Best practice evaluation methods
- Providing intervention and supports in home, community and classroom settings
- Promoting and enhancing social competence
- Examining curriculum and approaches based on current research
- Addressing problems or challenging behavior using functional assessments and positive behavioral supports