Get started with MUApply here
The online master’s degree in early childhood education from MU can help you better design, implement and evaluate educational services for children from birth through age 8, especially those with special needs and those with challenging behaviors. If you want to advance or recharge your teaching career, this may be the degree for you.
This program does not provide early childhood certification, nor does it provide the initial certification required to become a teacher.
Official nameMaster of education in learning, teaching and curriculum with an emphasis in early childhood education
Program typeMaster's degree
Academic homeCollege of Education & Human Development | Department of Learning, Teaching and Curriculum
Delivery mode100% online
AccreditationHigher Learning Commission, Teacher Education Accreditation Council
*This cost is for illustrative purposes only. Your hours and costs will differ, depending on your transfer hours, your course choices and your academic progress. See more about tuition and financial aid.
This degree has potential benefits for
- Child-care center staff workers
- Early childhood practitioners
- Early childhood special education teachers
- Head Start teachers
- Kindergarten or primary-grade teachers
- Preschool teachers
Delivery of this program is 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Courses are semester-based. Students typically take one or two classes each semester and finish in two years.
This program emphasizes
- Working with diverse groups of children and families
- Working with children with disabilities, including autism
- Implementing appropriate assessment methods
- Creating inclusive classrooms
- Promoting and enhancing language and early literacy development
- Positive approaches to addressing children's social and emotional development
Typical program length2 years
Typical course load1 or 2 classes each semester
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. The College of Education and Human Development is a member of the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.