Get started with MizzouApply here
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- Completed baccalaureate and master’s degree from a nationally accredited nursing program.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 for the last 60 credit hours.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements may provide additional evidence documenting examples of outstanding professional leadership, practice and/or scholarship for special consideration.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test), an IELTS score of at least 6.5, a Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 59 or a Cambridge C1 Advanced score of at least 180.
We recommend you submit your application six weeks before the beginning of the term in which you wish to start your course work.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Curriculum vitae documenting education, work experience, leadership, professional organization activities and scholarly endeavors (e.g. publications, presentations, research, honors, awards).
- Personal statement of your professional goals and how this program will help you achieve them. Your personal narrative should be typed, single-spaced and attached to this application. In your personal narrative, please include:
- A summary of your clinical background/experiences as a registered nurse;
- A summary of your specific clinical experiences in your chosen specialty area (e.g. setting(s), responsibilities, and/or roles);
- A description of any work-related projects and/or professional committee involvement;
- A description of your population of interest (e.g. pediatrics, elderly, women, etc.), setting of interest (e.g. acute/critical care, primary care, school, health department, etc.) and, if applicable, sub-specialty interest area (e.g. diabetes, oncology, cardiology, etc.);
- The type of position you intend to pursue after graduation (e.g. teaching, administration, clinical practice, research, or other);
- Your long-term career goals
- Two professional recommendations supporting the applicant’s potential success in the MS(N) program.
- References should be from master’s or doctorally prepared nurses or faculty members who can address the applicant’s potential or ability to function in the advanced practice nursing role
- Applicants currently enrolled in a nursing program must submit at least one recommendation from a current faculty member in that program.
- Recommendations from family, friends, fellow staff nurses, or minister will not be accepted.
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or C1 Advanced score reports for applicants whose native language is not English. For information on sending test scores, visit the Grad School website.
- Copies of current, unencumbered registered nurse license(s).
Complete the MU Graduate School application
After you’ve been notified that your application to the program has been reviewed and accepted by the Sinclair School of Nursing, you will formally apply to MU through the Graduate School.
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Degree/Delivery: Graduate Certificate- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner-Distance (Grad Cert)