Your username, or User ID, is one of the first pieces of information you’ll receive from the university. A User ID — also known as SSO or single sign-on ID — is your ticket to many of the resources you’ll need as a student.
What you can access with a User ID
A User ID and a password allow you to access your courses and university email. Your email is so important because that’s where you will receive all university-related information and communications.
What you need to begin
If you are a new student, you will receive your User ID in an admission letter sent to your personal email. Through this process, you will set up your password that you’ll use to access your university email.
Activate your UM System email account
- Navigate to accounts.umsystem.edu.
- Log in with your User ID and previously created student information system password.
- Make a note of your email address location just above the Office 365 account box.
- If you do not see the Office 365 account box, click "Self Service" at the top of the page.
- Click "Reset Office 365 Password" in the Office 365 account box.
- Enter a new password. It must meet the criteria listed on the page.
- Enter the same password in the “Confirm New Password” field.
- Click “Submit.”
- Wait for the message that your password was successfully reset.
- Choose "Click here to log into your O365 account" or navigate to https://owa.umsystem.edu/owa.
- Enter your Office 365 email address you noted earlier: firstname.lastname@example.org and click "Next."
- Enter your new password and click "Sign in."
- Finish your Office 365 account setup following the onscreen instructions.
Using your university email account
All university-related information and announcements will be sent only to UM System email accounts, so please be sure to check your account regularly. You will be able to access your email from anywhere with an internet connection. A security certificate must be downloaded from the Webmail site the first time you log in on any computer.
Important: Students must use their UM System email when corresponding with faculty and staff regarding academic issues. Faculty and staff are not permitted to reply to non-UM System accounts regarding academic issues.