Biological engineering: Online master’s degree
Master of science in biological engineering (MS)
Courses for this program are 100 percent online: no campus visits are required.
Successful completion of the program requires 36 credit hours of course work. Courses are 3 credit hours each, unless stated otherwise.
Online courses may require synchronous sessions. Please refer to myzou.missouri.edu for course availability and details.
The chart below shows when the courses are traditionally offered. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
Note The MS in biological engineering is non-thesis. The program may include up to 3 credits of research classes, but it is not required.
|Required courses (6 credit hours)|
|BIOL_EN 8180 Numerical Methods||X|
|STAT 7020 Statistical Methods in the Health Sciences||X||X||X|
|Choose at least 12 credit hours of:|
|BIOL_EN 8085 Problems in Biological Engineering||X|
|BIOL_EN 8170 Sensors and Biosensors||X|
|BIOL_EN 8370 Materials Characterization Techniques||X|
|BIOL_EN 8670 Orthopaedic Failure Modes and Effect Analysis||X|
|BIOL_EN 8000 Scientific Discovery Leading to Life Science Innovations*||X||X|
|BIOL_EN 8100 Design and Development of Biomedical Innovations*||X||X|
|Choose 18 credit hours of:
6 credit hours must be from Engineering
|BIOL_EN 7075 Topics: Brain Signals and Brain Machines||X|
|BIOL_EN 7001 Topics: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance||X|
|BIOL_EN 7170 Biomaterials Interfaces of Implantable Devices||X|
|BIOL_EN 7370 Orthopaedic Biomechanics||X|
|BIOL_EN 7470 Biomolecular Engineering and Nanobiotechnology||X|
|BIOL_EN 7480 Physics and Chemistry of Materials|
|BIOL_EN 7770 Biomedical Optics|
|BIOL_EN 7420 Introduction to Biomedical Imaging|
|MANGMT 8200 Commercialization of Life Science Innovations*||X|
|MPP 8004 Regulatory Issues in Clinical Research and Clinical Trials*||X|
*You may apply these courses toward a graduate certificate in life science innovation and entrepreneurship. Students must submit a Graduate Certificate Plan of Study form to the Office of Graduate Studies for the graduate certificate to be posted on the MU transcript.
Students are encouraged to complete their requirements by completing any of the available stackable certificates in the Department of Biomedical, Biological and Chemical Engineering or the College of Engineering, such as the online graduate certificate in life science innovation and entrepreneurship. Contact your adviser for more information on stackable certificates.
Prior to acceptance into the program, you may enroll as a post-baccalaureate (formerly nondegree-seeking) student in up to 12 credit hours. Enrollment does not guarantee acceptance. Learn more about nondegree-seeking university student admissions.
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
How to apply
Fulfill the transfer admission requirements
- Completed bachelor’s from a regionally accredited institution in a STEM field.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
Applicants also may be required to interview with members of the program's advisory board, faculty and/or staff. Work experience may be considered in lieu of some admittance requirements. Additionally, students who are employed or otherwise financially supported by an employer may receive a waiver of some admittance requirements.
Mark your calendar
Send in your application in time.
|To start classes in||Apply by||Classes begin|
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- GRE scores.
- Statement of purpose describing your academic and career background and goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from three people who are well-acquainted with your academic experience and can attest to your intellectual, experiential and interpersonal abilities. At least one of these letters must come from a professor or other academic official. You will supply only the names and contact details of your references; Graduate Studies will instruct them on how to upload their letters to your application.
- Résumé or CV.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Biological Engineering-Distance MS
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the College of Engineering.