Health informatics: Online master’s degree
Master of science in health informatics (MS)
Delivery of this program is blended; three weekend campus visits are required in both the spring and fall semesters. One campus visit is required during the summer semester.
Successful completion of the program requires 33 credit hours composed of 27 credit hours of core course work and 6 credit hours of an individual research project.
There are two prerequisites for the program: a college level statistics course and a college level algebra course.
You will proceed through the course work in tandem with your cohort, beginning in January and taking courses in the order outlined below.
Each course is 3 credit hours, unless stated otherwise. The University reserves the right to change or cancel courses as needed.
Year 1, spring
|HMI 7410 Introduction to the US Health Care System||X|
|HMI 7430 Introduction to Health Informatics||X|
Year 1, summer
|HMI 8450 Methods of Health Services Research||X|
|HMI 8580 Project Management||X|
Year 1, fall
|HMI 8550 Health Data Analytics||X|
|HMI 8571 Decision Support in Health Care Systems||X|
Year 2, spring
|HMI 8441 Biomedical and Health Vocabularies and Ontologies||X|
|HMI 8435 Information Security, Evaluation and Policy||X|
Year 2, summer
|HMI 8451 Individual Executive Management Studies||X|
Year 2, fall
|HMI 8437 Data Warehousing and Data/Text Mining for Health Care||X|
|HMI 8443 Enterprise Information and Solutions Architecture for Strategic Healthcare Operations||X|
In your final semester, you must pass an oral examination that enables the faculty to evaluate your competency in health informatics. You also will present your independent research project.
The University of Missouri is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
How to apply
Fulfill the admission requirements:
- At least three years of technical, clinical or administrative experience in health care or the health sciences.
- Completed bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate or graduate education. If your GPA was less than 3.0, the Admissions Committee may accept you into the program on probation and require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 100 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 7.
- GRE scores are not required.
Mark your calendar
This program accepts students to matriculate in the spring term only. We recommend you submit your application by Dec. 1.
Gather your papers
Applying will be easier and faster if you gather these required documents beforehand:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Personal essay that outlines your professional plans and career objectives, explains how you became interested in health informatics and how your prior training and experience would help your career, includes specific issues and problems in health care you consider challenging and why, and states that you intend to apply to the traditional distance education (executive) program.
- Statement of support from your employer; not required if you are self-employed or a principal in your organization.
- Résumé or CV documenting at least three years of technical, clinical or administrative experience in health care or the health sciences.
- TOEFL score reports for applicants whose native language is not English.
- Three letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of three professional colleagues who can attest to your intellectual, experiential and interpersonal abilities. The Graduate School will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
- Interview. The Admissions Committee interviews all applicants. If you are unable to travel to the Columbia, Missouri campus, alternate arrangements can be made.
Complete the online application
Carefully follow the instructions on the application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application.
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Health Informatics/Executive Program-Distance (MS)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Ask us about this program
For information about academic issues or course content, please contact
This program is administered by the Department of Health Management and Informatics.